Jul 15, 2011

Space, the Final Frontier

The last (and final) Space Shuttle launch got me thinking about NASA and the space program. I was 4 when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon. I watched COSMOS on PBS as a kid and can still hear Carl Sagan's voice in my head saying "Billions and Billions of stars".

It's only natural that my latest creative mashup would come to this: Space and Dogs.

It started with a painting I did of a Westie floating in space in an astronaut suit and now I'm hooked!

The concept is not new of course. Dogs in space is a popular subject in Books and art.
Early Russian space flight (Sputnik) turned a number of dogs into overnight celebrities.

I've just finished my latest "Space Dog" painting. This one has more of a nostalgic feeling to it:

"Rocket Dog" 16 x 20 Acrylic on gallery stretched canvas

Going back to the drawing board now - I feel the need to stuff more dogs into space suits :-)

For all of you cat lovers out there - France launched a kitty into space as well. In 1963, France put a male, black and white stray named Felix into a rocket capsule and sent him into the sky. He was recovered at splash down and lived to "meow" about it...

Nasa's simulated Cat space suits
Twitter DiggIt! StumpleUpon Del.icio.us Technorati Reddit

0 COMMENTS - Click here to leave YOURS!:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin