Jun 24, 2010

Self portrait - sort of...

I've been watching the show "Work of Art" on Bravo (Wed 10pm Est) and it really has me hooked. Not only do I enjoy the shenanigans of the artists and the crazy things they try to accomplish in a short of amount of time, I am also really loving the challenges. I like them so well that I'm going to try and complete them myself!

The first challenge was to paint a picture of another person that reflects who they are and their personality. For this challenge, I decided to do a self portrait instead. Not so much a picture of me as a picture of me surrounded by the the things that interest me.

I'm not sure this piece stands on it's own without explanation but it does include me (painted from a photo and very abstracted) as well as the ideas and experiences that I'm involved in (at the moment any way). I used some mixed media (sailing charts & maps with the words of the countries on them) and I tried to bring the viewer into the painting from the lower left corner and take them through the painting before sending them out at the upper right.

Still working on my composition skills so let me know if it works for you!


"Robin Dreams" 16 x 20 on canvas

Now it's your turn - send me a link to your self portrait and I'll include it in a future post!
Twitter DiggIt! StumpleUpon Del.icio.us Technorati Reddit

1 COMMENTS - Click here to leave YOURS!:

storybeader said...

what a great self-portrait! I love it, and see you all over the place. I need to tune into this show, and see what it's all about. Thanks for the post! {:-D

Blog Widget by LinkWithin