May 10, 2009

The White Rabbit goes to Washington

This past week / weekend has been really busy and a lot of fun. We decided to take a break from sanding and painting the boat so we drove from our marina up to Washington, DC Thursday morning to spend a few days exploring our Nation's Capitol. The last time we visited together was about 17 years ago so we expected to see lots of exciting new things.

There were a few new sights to see and the art galleries and museums never fail to delight us but for the most part, it was much like we had left it 17 years ago. I thought about that and found it quite comforting.


We really liked the World War II memorial, it seemed a very appropriate gesture to a generation who gave so much for our freedom. The Mall was still a great place to walk and we tried to imagine what it would have been like to be here with hundreds of thousands of people during our President's recent inauguration.


There was a great exhibit at the Library of Congress about Abraham Lincoln and also a wonderful exhibit about the creation of our Constitution. I was never a fan of history when I was in school but now I think it is very cool - strange huh? After living overseas and traveling the world I also appreciate a lot more the country of which I was lucky to born a citizen. We live in an amazing land with incredible potential and you really can feel it when you visit Washington, DC.


Thanks to our Florida Senator, Mel Martinez, we got a pass to take a tour of the Capitol. It was a great tour, and my first visit inside the Capitol. It was a Friday and the Senate was not in session but we still got to see a lot of building and learned a lot of really interesting facts.

Of course we took a lot of pictures and after arriving back a the boat, I was inspired by one of my favorite photos of the Washington Monument.




I loved the photo but thought to myself - "What's missing?"



The White Rabbit goes to Washington
Illustration #4 in the "Beyond Alice" Series
Watercolor pencil and pen on 140lb paper - 9x12


Why, the White Rabbit from Alice's Adventures in Wonderland of course...

Next Saturday we have another trip to Washington, DC planned for a scheduled tour of the White House. I can't wait to see what comes of that!


Twitter DiggIt! StumpleUpon Del.icio.us Technorati Reddit

1 COMMENTS - Click here to leave YOURS!:

sassypackrat said...

What a fun trip to the capital! I love that the White Rabbit got to go too! Cute painting! And next you're off to the White House? I've always wanted to do that, hope you have a great time!

Blog Widget by LinkWithin